Research at the Department of Engineering Science has produced an innovative method for measuring the capacity of jet engine turbines, resulting in a reduction in engine development times and savings of over £6m for Rolls-Royce between 2008 and 2013. Since this method eradicates the need to run a test facility continuously, the technique is superior for making capacity measurements in respects of cost, turnaround time and accuracy.
As a result of this breakthrough, Rolls-Royce ceased in-house turbine testing in 2008, instead using the Oxford Capacity Facility. This has helped Rolls-Royce to accelerate development of its Trent family of engines, enabling the company to deliver a new generation of cleaner, cheaper-to-run engines at much lower cost.
- Povey, T., Sharpe, M. and Rawlinson, A. ‘Experimental Measurements of Gas Turbine Flow Capacity Using a Novel Transient Technique’ (2011). ASME Journal of Turbomachinery, 133(1).
- Hambidge, C. and Povey, T. ‘Numerical and Analytical Study of the Effect of Film Cooling on HP NGV Capacity’ (2012). Proceedings of the ASME Turbo Expo 2012, Paper GT2012-69066.
- Povey, T. ‘Effect of Film Cooling on Turbine Capacity’ (2010). ASME Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, 132(1), 011901 (10 pages).
- Beard, P. and Povey, T. ‘University of Oxford Technical Report: XWB HP Vane Capacity Measurement’ (2011). Rolls-Royce Technical Report, Document Number DNS 176980. (Confidential, copy on file available on request)
- Qureshi, I. and Povey, T. ‘Trent 900 HP NGV (‘M’, ‘M-skewed’ and ‘L’ standard) Capacity Measurement in Oxford Capacity Facility’ (2011). Rolls-Royce Technical Report, Document Number DNS 177083. (Confidential, copy on file available on request)
- Qureshi, I. and Povey, T. ‘Trent 900 EP1 HP NGV Capacity Measurement in Oxford Capacity Facility’ (2012). Rolls-Royce Technical Report. Document Reference: DNS181647. (Confidential, copy on file available on request)
Grants supporting the research
Dr Povey was Principal Investigator on all of these projects
- Rolls-Royce: Trent 1000 Capacity, 2006-2009, £92k.
- Rolls-Royce: Trent XWB Capacity, 2009-2012, £163k.
- Rolls-Royce: Trent 900 M-std, 2011-2012, £82k.
- Rolls-Royce: Trent 900 L-std M-skew, 2011-2012, £70k.