Dr. Xin Yang completed his PhD at the University of Sheffield in 2017. His PhD work mainly focussed on developing models to predict ash deposition behaviours for solid fuel combustion through CFD methods and slagging indices.
Following his PhD study, Xin obtained a full time research position at the University of Sheffield as a research associate. After that, he moved to his current position at the Oxford Thermofluids Institute as a postdoctoral researcher.
2017 Distinguished Paper Award from The Combustion Institute
- Modelling particle motions and impingement
- Sticking and spreading of droplets
- Particle deposition issues in a variety of engineering applications, from the ‘sky’ (turbomachinery) to the ‘ground’ (boilers/combustors)
- CFD modelling and Uncertainty Quantification
- Instrumentations for particle deposition
- ICICLE: A Model for Glaciated & Mixed Phase Icing for Application to Aircraft Engines. A Bucknell, M McGilvray, D Gillespie, X Yang, G Jones, B Collier. SAE Technical Paper, 2019-01-1969
- Understanding the effects of oxyfuel combustion and furnace scale on biomass ash deposition. X Yang, J Szuhánszki, Y Tian, D Ingham, L Ma, M Pourkashanian. Fuel 247, 36-46
- Prediction of particle sticking efficiency for fly ash deposition at high temperatures. X Yang, D Ingham, L Ma, M Troiano, M Pourkashanian. Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 37 (3), 2995-3003
- Prediction of the radiative heat transfer in small and large scale oxy-coal furnaces. X Yang, A Clements, J Szuhánszki, X Huang, OF Moguel, J Li, J Gibbins. Applied energy 211, 523-537
- Ash deposition propensity of coals/blends combustion in boilers: a modeling analysis based on multi-slagging routes. X Yang, D Ingham, L Ma, N Srinivasan, M Pourkashanian. Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 36 (3), 3341-3350
- Understanding the ash deposition formation in Zhundong lignite combustion through dynamic CFD modelling analysis. X Yang, D Ingham, L Ma, H Zhou, M Pourkashanian. Fuel 194, 533-543
- Predicting ash deposition behaviour for co-combustion of palm kernel with coal based on CFD modelling of particle impaction and sticking. X Yang, D Ingham, L Ma, A Williams, M Pourkashanian. Fuel 165, 41-49