I am interested in the research of hypersonic and high enthalpy flows. In this field, I put particular focus on the development of optical diagnostics and heat flux measurements. My PhD thesis at the University of Stuttgart was focused on understanding the flow phenomena occurring during the re-entry of spacecaft into the Earth’s atmosphere. I developed different spectroscopic systems to assess the aerothermodynamic state of a plasma wind tunnel flow. Within the Hypersonics group of the Oxford Thermofluids Institute I am working on transpiration cooling. In this framework I am working on system studies of transpiration cooled entry vehicles and develop various diagnostic techniques such as heat flux measurements to porous media, probe based total temperature measurements, pressure sensitive paint systems, high speed focused and regular optical Schlieren systems.
- Hermann, T., Löhle, S., Zander, F. And Fasoulas, S. “Measurement of the Aerothermodynamic state in a High Enthalpy Plasma Wind-Tunnel Flow”. In: Journal of Quantitative Spectroscopy and Radiative Transfer 201C (2017) pp. 216-225. DOI: 10.1016/j.jqsrt.2017.06.022.
- Hermann, T., Löhle, S., Fasoulas, S., Leyland, P., Marraffa, L. and Bouilly, J.-M. “Infuence of Ablation on Vacuum-Ultraviolet Radiation in a Plasma Wind Tunnel Flow”. In: Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer Vol.31, No. 3 (2017), pp. 575-585, DOI: 10.2514/1.T4936.
- Hermann, T., Löhle, S., Wei, H., Morgan, R., Bauder, U. and Fasoulas, S. “Quantitative Emission Spectroscopy for Superorbital Re-entry in the Expansion Tube X2”. In: AIAA Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer Vol. 31, No. 2 (2017), pp. 257-268, DOI: 10.2514/1.T4898.
- Hermann, T., Löhle, S., Fasoulas, S. and Andrianatos, A. “Tomographic Optical Emission Spectroscopy of a High Enthalpy Air Plasma Flow”. In: Applied Optics 55, Issue 36, 10290-10298 (2016). DOI: 10.1364/AO.55.010290.
- Hermann, T., Zander, F., Fulge, H., Löhle, S. and Fasoulas, S. “Characterization of a Re-entry Plasma Wind Tunnel Flow with Vacuum Ultraviolet to Near Infrared Spectroscopy”. In: Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer Vol. 30, No. 3 (2016), pp. 673-688. DOI: 10.2514/1.T4695.